Monday 22 October 2012

iPod dock


I think I've decided on one of the first mods I'm going to do on #10719. From what I've read the stock speaker are a little poor, being small and shorton bass. so, other than changing the speakers for something with a little more bass I need to upgrade the choice of audio sources. Tape and FM radio may have been cutting edge back in 1981 but it just doesn't cut the mustard these days.

However, I dont really want to change the original head unit on the car. Its a good unit and from what I know of audio amplifiers its the amp circuit inside is of a reasonable quality. I dont want to ruin the aesthtics of the car by sticking in a new head unit, well  not if I can help it. so I started to look around for any mods that can be done to allow an aux input to be added to the stock radio.

Todd over at project 1561 did this very interesting mod to his radio http://1561project.com/?page=ipod-craig While I like the idea I don't like the fact that with this mod you have to have a switch to turn off the radio reception, or constantly have to put up with interference picked up from the aerial. Looking at the wiring diagram for the radio I wondered if I could tap into the audio signal coming out of the tape section of the radio. This wouldn't suffer from the noise asspect of the above mod, plus allows for additional noise reduction and balance functions of the unit to be used with the aux input.

One big problem might be that the radio in #10719 looks like its an ASI unit rather than a Craige unit. However the above idea should still work, but I'll have to hunt down a wiring diagram for this radio.

Anyway, as I don't have #10719 in the country yet I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll return to this thread when she turns up and I have the actual radio to hand.

Watch this space!

1 comment: