Tuesday 19 February 2013

Trim Removal

So, the car came back from PJ Grady and I had a couple of great journeys around the area in her. Since having all the work done its a changed car. A joy to drive. Great fun, and I still can't get over the amount of attention you get. I pulled into the filling station (or petrol station as we call them over here) to fill the car up last weekend in the evening. As soon as I did everyone just stopped what they were doing, with most of the guys (its very much a guy thing) pulling out their phones to take pictures. They even allowed me straight to the front  to pay! How mad is that!


Anyway, you'd think I'd just enjoy the car, but no, I couldn't leave things alone. With some free days on my hands I started to remove the interior trim. The vinyl trim in #10719 is in good shape, but is a little discoloured in places. So my plan is to remove it and treat it with a spray STEM dye or re-colouring spray. This should return the vinyl to its factory condition. I'm also going to take the seats out, give them a deep clean (some brown/yellow colouring on them as well) and generally give them loads of car.
Other than that the carpets look pretty grubby. I'm not sure what to do with them. They may just need a clean, but I may invest in new ones from Dave Howarth here in the UK. Speaking to him tonight he has a "Roles Royce" carpet set which is even better than the original! Sounds great (well, not for my wallet).
Removing the trim also gives me chance to sort out the very lame sound system in the car at the moment. It suck big time. I'll be replacing all the speakers, front and back, with new versions, plus replacing the wiring to bring it up to a decent quality. The head unit also needs to be changed, and I'm thinking of a sub in the cubby hole to really take it to the next level.
The binnacle needs work as well. The previous owner had it re-covered in leather, but its FAR from a nice job. I'm just hoping to find a nice, un-cracked original binnacle under that exterior. I'm not hopeful. Why cover it if its in good shape. We will see.
Until then enjoy some pictures of the removal process. Look out for those sharpe door edges, and cool dates on the underside of the door headliners.







No comments:

Post a Comment