Tuesday 19 February 2013

Coating the Frame in POR-15


Well, after the black gunk had been removed I could see that some parts of the frame needed some TLC. Not too many, and no areas that could be called anything other than surface rust. The worst areas were where the master cylinder had leaked DOT 4 fluid on the frame near the drivers side front wheel and down onto the edge of the tank cover. Again, mainly just a case of the expoxy coming off and surface rust. The other area was the engine cradle which seemed to be a bit too flaky for my liking.

So, after treating with marine a rust removal product by the same people that do POR-15 the frame was ready to coat. POR-15 has a three step process of cleaning, prepping and coating, and produces a super hard coating which gets harder with exposure to water. Better than the original epoxy!

Its a slow process, and I painted all of the back part of the frame, including the engine cradle. I've also done all the front and down over the tank cover. Where the transmission sits the epoxy is in great condition so I'm leaving this for now. I'll probably go back in there soon and coat, but for now the other areas were the key parts in need of attention. I intend going back in when I have more POR-15 (its expensive stuff) and do the whole lot, then coat with a topcoat of spray paint in the correct colour for the frame. But for now things look a hell of a lot better.

Time for her to go down to Chris N at PJ Grady for some work on that leaking transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment