Tuesday 19 February 2013

Gears...What a Nightmare!


Now, when I first drove VIN 10719 back from the port I had a nightmare with the gears. First seemed impossible to find, and second, well lets just say it was very interesting when approaching a junction. Nine times out of ten I end up grinding the gears as the transmission tried in vain to slip into reverse!

I thought it was just me. After all before driving the DeLorean I've been spoilt with modern cars with their smooth, easy to use gear boxes. I just needed to get used to it. I was being rubbish. Practise would soon have me changing through the gears with ease.....

Well, seems like its not just me. Chris N of PJ Grady had the car the other week and he couldn't even get it into first to drive it into his lock-up! He ended up putting it into third to get it going. Now Chris is far from a novice as far as driving the Delorean, so it was obviously something wrong with the box.

Turns out the previous owner had adjusted the gear linkage until it was miles out. The gears were biased all the way over towards fifth gear. God knows why. I can only imagine that being American, and the US having mainly automatics he just didn't know how to deal with a manual gear box.

Anyway, after MUCH tweaking by Chris N the gears are now 100% better. I can't believe it, I can find first and second with ease, and for the first time reverse can be found by first pulling up the gear stick, rather than by trying to find second at speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment