Sunday 16 December 2012

Collection Day!

It's been a while since I last updated everyone on the progress of VIN 10719, but the car is finally in the UK, and finally in my garage. It's actually been a week since picking her up and making the journey back from Southampton. As I'm writing this I'm thinking about what I need to do today to fix some of the issues with the car and get it ready for the MOT, now booked for the 3rd of January. But first a little update on the fateful day of collection.


We travelled down the day before collection from Leicester by train (my co-pilot for the day and me). I'd considered having the car transported up to the Midlands, and while costing not much more than actually driving it back it just seemed right to collect the car in person and drive it back. Maybe not the most sensible option considering its left hand drive manual, I'm not used to the car and have never driven a non-power assisted car, not to mention its a completely unknown entity with regards what's working and what's not. But hay-ho, sometimes you just have to go with your gut on these things. Would I recommend this option, probably not, but it all worked out for me.

I'd sorted out insurance on the VIN number prior to collection. This is a MUST if your thinking of driving any car, let alone one as valuable as a DeLorean. Plus its also illegal to drive any vehicle on UK roads without some sort of insurance. I managed to get a full years worth of insurance for under £300.

After staying the night in the wonderful Star Hotel (worth a whole post on it's own) we got to the port to collect the car, dragging bags with us. After walking all the way down the dock (a good mile) we reached the address Hill Shipping had given me for collection, only to be told that we had to go all the way back to the other end, one mile back the way we had come! Thank god a guy gave us a lift back up the port service road. Then, following a bit of paperwork and some raised eyebrows at the fact I'd be driving the car back to the Midlands, we were told to wait outside for someone to bring the car down. So we waited, and waited. Still no sign of the car. Seems after being fine for so long the car had decided to throw a strop and was refusing to start. Flat battery seemed to be the cause. 



Following a couple of power packs (seems this is quite normal for cars arriving in port) she finally appeared. Now, I had an image in my mind of how my first drive in a DeLorean would go. At no point did this image include jumping into the car without even being able to adjust the mirrors or take off the plastic covering the seats. Nor did it involve having to deal with a busy Southampton traffic as I rushed the car to the nearest petrol station as she was nearly out of gas! Seems even though she had half a tank in her when leaving the US the shipping company had been kind enough to drain the tank to mere vapours just for me! How good of them....

First thoughts on driving the car. Well, both exciting and terrifying in equal amounts. Left hand drive with the gear stick on the right. Not something I'm used to at all. Plus I've only ever driven cars with power assisted steering and the  DeLorean felt HEAVY. Very heavy. The clutch and brakes also felt very alien, again being used to power assisted modern cars. But I got used to them fairly quickly (some gear changes were awful let me tell you). But the sense of going back to basics and learning to drive again was very strong. Its a completely different car to drive than any modern car. Once you get used to it though you'll love it. The feeling of being truly connected to the car is second to none. Just takes some getting used to things.


Getting to the petrol station I go my first taste of the interest a DeLorean can generate. I hadn't even got out of the car to fill her up and a guy had appeared at the window wanting to know all about it. I gave him the full run down while filling the tank, which resulted in me over filling the tank and spilling fuel everywhere. Seems its a right of passage with DeLorean ownership.

The rest of the journey was fairly uneventful. Some moments where gear changes could have been better (practice needed there) and occasional lane adjustments (LHD is a bugger). The car continued to attract attention with people waving and taking pics. DeLorean ownership certainly ain't for the retiring types among us. The weather was great, and the journey was a pleasure.





On getting the car back home I had to contend with the "standard" garage. For "standard" read "tight as hell". The DeLorean ain't as small as I thought it was. She managed to fit in, but as for opening the doors, lets just say I'm glad I'm slim. There's not much room.

As for things that need attention. Well here is the (preliminary) list:


  • Major problem with the front spoiler and rock screen. Seems like both have been damaged in transport. It looks like the front of the car has come to rest on something, which has pushed up then shattered the underside of the Spoiler and bent the rock screen. Not happy at all! Something for the insurance.
  • The battery cover has also been split slightly, probably when the guys at the dock tried to start the car. Looks like over heavy handedness on their part. Looks like they also managed to loose a couple of retaining bolts. Again, have to claim on the insurance. 
  • There is a smell of petrol in the cabin. Might be my slip at the petrol station, we'll see.
  • The brake light stayed on during the whole journey and on a couple of occasions I had to push almost to the floor before I got any braking response. Not good! I'll have to buy more underwear if that keeps up.
  • The electric mirrors work left and right, but not up and down. That needs fixing right away, if only so I can get her in and out of the garage.
  • The stereo doesn't seem to work. No FM reception (might be the lack of UK support) and only one speaker working. That 80's compilation for the journey home ended up going to waste! That needs fixing asap.
  • The clutch has a very high biting point, and seems to slip when you put your foot down. When accelerating on the motorway the engine seemed to rev at first without and perceivable increase in speed. Maybe inked to the brakes, low fluid levels maybe? Needs sorting though. Hopefully not a clutch problem!
Other than these she was perfect. Getting her back safe and sound was a wonderful feeling. I remember getting out of the car after the long journey and just looking at the car. I can't believe how good she looks, and she's mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment