Sunday 6 January 2013

Cleaning off the Black Gunk - Part 1

Well, to get the frame back into tip-top condition, and to remedy those areas of rust, I need to get rid of that black gunk all over the frame. Yes, I could keep it on the frame. In fact that was what I was originally thinking of doing. But I found out the hard way that its much harder to see any rust that's forming and catch it quickly. In the future I don't want any unwanted surprises!

So, armed with rubber gloves, white spirit, sponges, detergent and just about everything else I attacked the gunk!

After some trial and error I found the best technique for getting the stuff off. First, I gave it a good spray over with some engine cleaner called "gunk" - seems fitting! This seemed to soften the black layer, but not really dissolve it enough to allow me to wash it off. I found that good old white spirit and a kitchen sponge, with its rough side as a means to "agitate" the surface and allow the spirit to penetrate. With some elbow grease the spirit will turn the tar-like coating into a thick, gravy like black-brown liquid which I could either wipe off or wash off with soapy water.

The process is slow, messy and stinks! I'd set the back of the car up on stands on the road outside my house. As mentioned before my garage is a little on the small side, and the car only just fits in. However, January isn't the time of year to be lying on your back under a car wiping off black sludge with water and white spirit. Then getting coated in the same water and sludge mix. I ended up being very cold indeed.

Next time I'll try to set the car up in the garage. I'm planning to get another set of stands so I can have both ends of the car up and all wheels off. If I do this under cover I'll be able to really get stuck in!

No comments:

Post a Comment